Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yay For Uruguay!

I think I have never share this before on the blog, but I lived for a year in Uruguay (that is why I had those lovely days in Brazil, because it was a short bus trip away). So, I used to live in this huge student house, actually it was less like a house and more like an Escher drawing or wing at Hogwarts (School of Witchcraft and Wizardry); I think it took my best friend and I about a month to know the whole house, there were little hallways that took you to rooms and apartments, a small patio that seemed to spring out of nowhere, doors under stairways and hidden kitchens (connected to even more rooms), about 70 to 80 persons could live there.

It was rumored that before being a student house, it was used to torture enemies of the State (a.k.a. rebellious students), but by the time I got there, it was a place of peace, harmony, wine and homemade pizzas. I was 20 (about to turn 21) and before Uruguay I had been in one of my worst depression, Montevideo changed my life; it opened my eyes to a different kind of friendships (the simple and real ones), new food and of course new music. By the time I was 22 years old I was calm, fitter, healthier and more productive*.

And so, for today I would like to do a Yay For Uruguay! Day, why today? I have no idea, I just felt like today was the right day. So I will go and look for an Uruguayan artist to feature and mean while you can enjoy No Te Va Gustar (NTVG) with No era cierto (translation by me: It wasn’t true). By the way, the lyrics are all about not being alone and having people to party with, so this song is perfect for remembering that house on Eduardo Víctor Haedo Street (unless you were tortured there, and then it makes no sense).



* Yes, Radiohead.

No comments:

Post a Comment